5.09.2007

Superman TAS: Season 1

So I started watching Superman: The Animated Series last night, and I realized that the story, pacing, and execution are actually better than any of the live-action Superman movies. And it made me go "hmmm."

Things I liked:
1. Braniac hid the fact that Krypton was dying from the public, and made Jor-El out to be crazy.
2. It was so subtle, but Kal-El's spaceship goes into some kind of "hyperdrive" and when it does some rocks from Krypton go with it, and when it comes out of hyperspace, the small craft and the Kryptonite all hurtle towards Earth. I thought that was a really nice touch.
3. No crystals.
4. Clark's method of discovering his powers was pretty awesome, he did a rescue of a family whose van collided with a tanker at a gas station. I think filmed live it would be very powerful.

There was really nothing I didn't like. After all, it is just a cartoon. Though, I can't help but wonder what a Superman cartoon directed by Genndy Tartakovsky might look like! Next up after Superman TAS is Justice League: Season One!

2 comments:

mrm1138 said...

I agree that Superman TAS is possibly the best adaptation of the character I've ever seen, much in the same way Batman animated series is the best non-comics rendition of that character. (I do think, though, that there's just something about the visceral thrill of seeing things in live action that, unfortunately, the show just can't touch, so the original movie still has an edge.) I definitely love the concept of tying Brainiac to his origin. In a way, I kind of enjoy Superman TAS more than Batman TAS. I know that's sacrelige, but I don't care. Not that every episode is perfect—the Lobo and Livewire episodes are pretty cringeworthy—but the good ones are spectacular.

Matt said...

Matt
So far I'm on disk 1, the origin story, and I have been really impressed. Even Lex Luthor's intro with the giant robot made more sense story-wise than Superman Returns. Hasn't Hollywood figured out that real estate plots are boring?

And Robynn, I love you!